6 Tips for Getting Settled into Franklin West Apartments
Whether it’s a career move or just to experience a new area, picking up and finding a new place to live can be a daunting task.
We’ve compiled a few must-do items to complete after you’ve found the place to call home. We get it. You’ve picked a nice apartment, paid the movers, and now you’re in your new living room staring at a ton of boxes wondering, “where in the world do I even begin?”
Wipe the sweat off your brow and let’s get to that checklist!
- If you haven’t done so already, complete and return the inspection report you received in your move-in packet. Not only does this document any cosmetic damages so that you won’t be held responsible upon move-out, Franklin West can schedule work orders for maintenance to stop by your apartment to do any needed repairs.
- If you haven’t done so already, set up your renters’ insurance coverage. Not only is renters’ insurance required in your Franklin West lease, it is both affordable and easy to do. Looking for the best rates? Consider “bundling” it with your car or homeowners’ insurance, if you or your parental co-signers own a home.
- Unpacking can be incredibly overwhelming when you’re doing it by yourself. Make things accomplishable. An easy place to start is focusing on unpacking one box a day. As you unpack, take pictures of your possessions too. This is also a great way to document your stuff from an insurance perspective.
- Moving becomes a prime opportunity to declutter and purge things you forgot you ever owned. If you didn’t do this when you were first packing up, definitely do it while you unpack. It’s an awesome way to hit the refresh button. Plus, your unwanted items may be another man’s treasure, so always try to donate!
- Ensure that your utility accounts were properly set up at the beginning of your lease. If you have questions about the utility responsibility for your apartment, please call the Franklin West office.
- If you did not do so prior to your move, set aside some time to visit your local U.S. Post Office. This visit is to make sure your new mailing address is correct or to update voter registration. This can actually be done online as well through USPS.
Bonus: We saved the niftiest trick for last. Furniture shopping for your new apartment can be tricky, especially if you’re on a budget. Here are a few apps you need to have to monitor product price drops or rebate options.
– Shoptagr (a Google Chrome extension)
Are you a newbie to Shadyside neighborhood? Check out our Instagram feed for the best Shadyside has to offer from local shops to eateries, and seasonal events to things to do on a Friday night.
Welcome to Shadyside!