10 Ways to Improve Apartment Life in Shadyside
Summer in Pittsburgh is in full swing bringing gorgeous sunny days. Here at Franklin West, we pride ourselves on providing a superior living. The best thing about apartment living is its cost-efficiency! We want to help you spruce things up in apartment living and maybe help take care of a few pesky issues.
Get Help From Nature
The movement of wall gardens and leafy centerpieces isn’t just a decor statement. Plants are extremely useful for repelling pests, cleaning the air, and everyday uses you didn’t even realize could help. Here’s our list of must-have plants.
- Lavender – repels moths, fleas, flies, and mosquitos
- Peppermint – repels spiders, mosquitos, and ants
- Peace Lily – can improve your home’s air quality.
- Snake plants – extremely effective at removing toxins in the air.
- Aloe – helps you out during sunny days at the pool
BONUS: Herbs – for cooking, of course.
As an added bonus, certain sun-seeking indoor plants help keep the air around them cool. Plants rely on photosynthesis in order to survive, a process in which they consume water and sunlight to create their own food. This process also causes plants to take in energy, in this case, heat.
Ease the Noisy Fanfare
From sounds of the streets to hearing your roommate’s sandals flopping on the hardwood floors in the other room, apartments are a little noisy. We rounded up a few ways to soundproof your apartment.
- Easy to install yourself, use a draft blocker (DIY or store-bought) to keep out dust, bugs, drafts, moisture and most importantly, noise.
- Stuck hearing outdoor racket when trying to sleep? Look into getting a white noise machine or shop around for different mobile apps.
- Canvas art (home created or store-bought) can actually help soundproof your home, just don’t forget to attach acoustic tile to the back.
- Noise bounces off of glassware and ceramics, so tuck away these items.
- Rugs are your friend. Use multiple, crazy patterned rugs or just one large one to absorb echoes and other loud noises. A thick carpet pad works well if you love the pattern of a fairly thin rug.
These tips are alternatives to minimal issues. If you’re experiencing major problems concerning the mentioned topics, reach out to our main office for assistance. Enjoy apartment living during any season!